söndag 2 juni 2019

Would I Trade In The Senior Badge For A Student Cap?

Jasmine Saxvik – Australian Exchange Student


After graduating in Australia, just over six months ago, I have thrown myself back into school... on the other side of the planet. School in Finland is quite different on many levels. From 8am starts to the importance of foreign language in Finnish education, to being able to leave school between classes. I have put the Finnish school system to the test after already putting on the cap and gown (not really, that’s American!).

The first of key differences is uniform! In Australia, it is customary to wear uniforms, whether its formal or not. Of course, there are many pros and cons to having uniforms. While it does sometimes feel like you look the same as everyone else, so much time is saved in the morning since you don’t have to stare at your wardrobe, wondering what to wear! However, I do prefer the Finnish way in this case. I appreciate the ability to have self-expression at school and to be differentiated from everyone else.


Next up on the agenda is scheduling! Schedules in Finnish schools are far more flexible. My school in Australia always had a fixed school day for everyone, with our mornings starting at 8:50 and finishing again at 15:05, consisting of four classes per day. Unlike Finnish schools, our classes remain the same for the whole year and we typically take about 6 courses for the whole year. We have our homeroom classes every morning before we start class to hear the school announcements which I find quite helpful.

Guess what? Our exams are written on paper! Shocking, I know! We are less integrated with technology so we are left with paper exams. Useful for math exams, in my opinion! Though I have found that completing exams on a computer is so much faster and way more efficient. I found the Abitti system to be a shock at first, but I soon appreciated it and found it simple to use... and friendly to the trees of course!

Bonjour! Moi! Hallo! Ciao! Foreign languages! In my time in Finland, most people I’ve met speak at least three languages, which is quite uncommon in Australia as most of us speak only English. For my dear Finnish friends, it’s all thanks to their school system! Here, languages are taught from a very young age and it remains consistent throughout their school years, allowing fluency to show. We usually start learning around 9 or 10 years old but don’t have consistent language lessons. Something that Australian schools can definitely learn from Finnish schools!


And last, but certainly not least... Leaving school in between classes! Have you ever heard that stereotype that Finns leave school to buy salmiakki? Well, in my case, its hot chocolate that I find myself leaving school for. Oops!

With that said, I do think that Australia can learn from Finland and Finland can learn from Australia, even on a school level. I know I’m so lucky to experience both and I do like each system for their own little quirks. Senior year again, anyone?


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar